Saturday, January 31, 2015

A Thousand Summers 4



Saturday Evening Posts
January 31 to February 6 Edition

A Thousand Summers 4

Christmas came. I love that special feeling in the air.

I see Yuletide differently now, like a migratory bird sensing the advent of winter.

This is the time when I stop, step back and review my life. I do it with as much detachment as I could. It's like somebody outside looking in, watching myself and seeing somebody else.

I ask myself the questions inward-looking people normally ask only during moments of abysmal existential angst: Where am I? Where do I really want to go? And perhaps the most soul-stirring: what kind of person have I become?

I feel keenly that my life is an ongoing journey. It gives me comfort that, wherever I may be, literally and metaphorically, I won't be there forever. The road is endless and the world is infinite.

I cannot imagine myself living a conventional life purely to satisfy other people's double-standard expectations. Still, I am sort of conscious of the human yearning to be where I can feel I belong, to finally find a place I can call home.

I have always yearned for a simple life even during my bohemian teenage years. Then at the end of that December came an epiphany like a thunderbolt: I already have it.


To Be Continued Next Saturday



3 comments:

Jonathan Aquino said...

"I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph." ~ Shirley Temple

Jonathan Aquino said...

“If you still react the same way to an old circumstance, you haven’t grown. It has nothing to do with whether or not that circumstance should be in your life anymore.” ~ Bashar

Jonathan Aquino said...

Photos courtesy of adventuretravel.about.com and rebloggy.com