Saturday, November 11, 2017

Everyday Magic

Saturday Stories
November 11, 2017

Photo of Jonathan Aquino (seated) taken in Cebu, Philippines

Somebody asked me some years back what my favorite word was.

I said "Magic" – and it still is.

I used to think that magic is something extraordinary, like when David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear.

As time goes by, I began to realize that magic comes in many forms.

There is magic in the simple things we take for granted, like a smile from someone you love, or an act of kindness from a complete stranger.

There is magic in unexpected surprises, like when I found a quiet boardinghouse and a laundromat within walking distance from where I work.

There is magic in finding a job that you enjoy, in a company you where you feel at home, with people you really like.

As I thought about the things I like about where I work, I realize more and more how lucky I am because it is so unlike the other companies I've been in.

I like my team-mates (in photo), the American co-owner, our HR officers, the people from other departments, and of course, our clients in Silicon Valley with whom we communicate through Slack.

"I love the culture here," I said to prospective clients when I was asked to join the meeting a few weeks ago, "because I thrive in a creative environment."

There is magic in enjoying the moment, and in knowing that moments don't always last. Magic is when life continues to surprise and delight you even when your road begins to take you somewhere else. 

There is magic everywhere, all day, everyday – if we just allow ourselves to see it.

No comments: