Saturday, November 17, 2018

Listening To Angels

Saturday Stories
November 17, 2018


I

One of the most inspiring stories I've ever known is about the Russian scientist Dr. George Rodonaia. I first knew him in Are We Listening To Angels? The Next Step In Understanding Angels In Our Lives by Robert J. Grant when I read it about three years ago. Rodonaia was assassinated by the KGB in 1976 – and on the third day, he rose from the dead. He literally woke up in the morgue as the embalmers were about to cut him open.

II

Then, last year, I met him again in "Life After Life," a spiritually uplifting documentary about near-death experiences featuring Dr. Raymond Moody. I saw it on YouTube while looking for something else, and it happened at a crucial time in my life – when I was beginning to learn that there are no coincidences in the universe. I felt so happy when I read about Rodonaia's experiences while he was dead. It's not easy to explain why I know, with absolute certainty, he was not making it up. No one can fake a sense of peace and completeness and homecoming that are impossible to express in words. And he didn't even believe in God or in life after death because he was an atheist.

III

What makes the book even more meaningful to me is the inclusion of the Edgar Cayce readings on angels. Edgar Cayce was a devout Christian who had the ability to go into trance and access any information. He gave individual courses of treatments to people with seemingly incurable diseases whom doctors had given up on – and he had saved tens of thousands of lives. I always think of Edgar Cayce as the epitome of a decent man, a good husband and father, and a loyal friend. He never enriched himself, mostly giving free readings. His photo studio business was affected because he wanted to help as many people as he can, even as his health and finances suffered. It was as if he somehow knew he wouldn't be long in this world. All throughout the many financial difficulties from his refusal to exploit his powers, his wife Gertrude and his children and their closest friends stayed true to him and never left his side.

IV

Edgar Cayce is one of the most documented clairvoyants in history. I know that a lot of religious people condemn psychics, and my favorite irony is that I have become closer to God because of a psychic – because of Edgar Cayce. The Cayce reading that is most significant in my life was the confirmation that Christ is indeed divine. And the revelation was not colored by Cayce's beliefs because the reading also confirmed the reality – and explained the deeper meaning – of reincarnation and karma. My belief in Jesus took on a different character, and although I'm longer "religious" in the conventional sense, I also found myself having more respect and acceptance of other people's beliefs. This is why, when so many Christians felt threatened and defensive by the fiction novel The DaVinci Code, I felt solid and secure in my own inner convictions. I believe in Jesus because I believe in Cayce, and I know he was genuine because, until his death on July 1945 in his home in Virginia, his entire life has been a testimony to his simplicity, humility and incorruptible integrity.

Photo courtesy of Youhuaaa.com