Sunday, February 10, 2019

Sign of Water


Sign of Water
By Jonathan Aquino


West Coast Eisteddfod, jonathan aquino

I.

An old building, almost empty, second floor.
I was alone, standing on the corridor,
then a guy approached, some dude
wearing a red Che Guevara shirt,
baggy jeans, black socks, and no shoes.

II.

He nodded at me, and I did likewise.
“Where’s your ward, man?” I asked.
“Last one on the left,” he said. “Hey!”
“Hey what?” I asked, startled.
He said he saw me the other day
downstairs where people get x-rays.

III.

“Clem,” he said, and, “Thomas,” I said,
but we did not shake hands, though he asked 
if there are cigarettes I happen to have,
and I said, “But we can’t smoke,”
and he said, “Rules, rules, rules!”

IV.

Just then, a man went past, ignoring us,
heading towards the far pavillion.
“My ward," Clem said. He added: “My dad,”
and he translated: “Mi padre.”
“You freaking hablo EspaƱol?!” I was amazed.
“Un poco,” he said. “A little. My dad and I,”
he confessed, “don't talk.” And I,
of course, didn't ask why. I nodded:
it's sometimes wise not to push advice.

V.

“I’m into astrology!” I told him with pride,
and asked his sign. “Aquarius.” he replied,
and solemnly, like the Oracle at Dolphy,
I said he was born on the sign of water,
and he was speechless in wonder.
“Your favorite song,” I cried, 
“is Cool Change!” He was surprised.
“Little River Band!” he joyfully said, 
loud enough to wake up the dead.

VI.

“It's not like in the movies,” he said.
I said nothing, just nodded.
“By the way, who’s with you?” he asked.
“Nobody,” I smiled, my sorrow masked.
We were silent for a moment.
“This is really happening,” Clem said.
I nodded. “Yup,” I said, brooding.
He nodded too. “Yeah,” he said, sighing.
A little while later,
there materialized an orderly,
pushing a stretcher,
a gleaming white sheet over 
my new friend's mortal body. 
We bowed our heads silently
as it passed through us squeakily.

No comments: