Saturday, October 05, 2019

The Rosales Saga



The Rosales Saga
By Jonathan Aquino

Saturday Stories
October 5, 2019

I

I grew up in Antipolo, a town in Rizal Province about seventeen kilometers from Manila. Our house – in the middle of the street – was in a new suburban area (called a "subdivision") so there were few houses back then. When I peer out the gate or above our high walls, all I could see was trees and grass. I wasn't allowed to go out but we had a big garden and an even bigger backyard, and I had a dog named Hutch so I was fine. There was a talisay tree out front, and more trees at the back – mango, avocado, santol. The avocado tree was slanted, almost uprooted from a storm, and that was the easiest to climb. 

II

All these came back when I read "Don Vicente" by F. Sionil Jose, National Artist For Literature. I'm not a sentimental person by nature, but I do have so many wonderful memories. I'm blessed to have a happy and prosperous childhood, like the narrator who also lived in a big house surrounded by nature. I once told a friend that I like to go to hills overlooking whole villages, ride a carabao though rice fields, and swim in a flowing river where women are washing their clothes at the banks. My friend said those days are gone now, but this is how I see Rosales in Pangasinan before the war. 

III

I've seen the great writer F. Sionil Jose in person. I was at his bookstore Solaridad on Padre Faura Street in Manila years back, just browsing. He came out from the back and stood on the counter. I was four feet away. I have creds because my first short story was just then published in Philippine Graphic and I had just sent a manuscript to Philippines Free Press, but I was too shy to approach. I'm a great fan, and I admire him for his novels, especially his masterpiece, the five-book Rosales saga – Po-on, Tree, My Brother, My Executioner; The Pretenders and Mass. The story of the two-novel "Don Vicente" is Tree and My Brother, My Executioner.

IV

The story of "Tree" begins when the unnamed narrator was still a young boy. He was the only son of a wealthy landlord, Don Espiridion, who is also the right-hand man of the richest man in Rosales, Don Vicente Asperri. They own the land, and the farmers, known as tenants, would pay them to plant and gather the harvest. They have many servants, mostly the children of the tenants who are unable to pay them back. A man named Baldo tried to change the situation, but he lost, and he died. My favorite scene is when the boy and his grandfather, the beloved former gobernadorcillo, went to the fields in Carmay after the harvest. "Boy, the silence of a field can give a man beautiful thoughts," Grandfather said on the day he died peacefully. "Here, more than anyplace, you are nearer God."

Narrator – Daniel Padilla/ Nash Aguas
Teresita – Kathryn Bernardo
Father – Robert Arevalo
Grandfather – Tony Mabesa
Old David – Dante Rivero
Don Vicente – Ronaldo Valdez
Baldo – Coco Martin
Pedring – Jericho Rosales
Clarissa – Kristine Hermosa
Marcelo – Cesar Montano
Benito – Eddie Mesa
Padre Andong – Jaime Fabregas
Doro – Noel Trinidad
Antonia – Celia Rodriguez
Sepa – Caridad Sanchez
Angel – Vandolph
Ludovico – Yul Servo
Andring – Baron Geisler
Martina – Alessandra De Rossi
Nimia – Dina Bonnevie
Ms. Santillian – Bea Alonzo
Mr. Sanchez – John Lloyd Cruz
Feliza – Irma Adlawan 
Father's mistress – Tessie Tomas
Hilda's father – Menggie Cobarubias
Ludovico's father – Bodjie Pascua
Angels mother – Gina PareƱo 
Angel's father – Pen Medina
Chan Hai – Tsing Tong Tsai

Photo courtesy of Amazon

No comments: