Saturday, July 04, 2015

A Thousand Summers (Episode 16)



Saturday Evening Posts
July 4-10 Edition

A Thousand Summers

Episode 16

That night, I sat at the park in Ormoc, stunned by the unbelievably clear water of the bay. It has been more than a decade after the tragic flood that almost decimated the entire town.

I bought a balut duck egg from a young vendor. I remember always eating balut in the early 90s in Novaliches when I first began living on my own. I was then 14 years old, immediately just before I worked as a waiter in an all-the-way club in Sapang Palay where a dancer almost twenty years my senior initiated me in the ways of the flesh.

I arrived in Cebu, the final destination for my magical mystery tour, as dawn came. A new day in a new land!

I went to Cebu for pure wanderlust but it has become more of a spiritual journey. I fell in love with the place. Nothing spectacular; there's just something that made me want to stay longer. At the same time, I also had semi-new painful experiences that I swore will never happen. I won't go into details but I have to write that down because this was a significant turning point in my life.


Jonathan Aquino's Journals

March 16, 2015, Monday

This is the last day of my membership at the gym and I made the best of it. I start on my last office gig this coming Wednesday. As soon as I get settled I'll find the right place to build my shop with my own gym and recording studio outside the city.

I bought six books today: My Twelve Years With John F. Kennedy by Evelyn Lincoln, Echoes From Medieval Halls: Past Life Memories From The Middle Ages by Barbara Lane, An Outline of American Geography by Earl N. Mittleman, The Human Zoo by Desmond Morris, I Remember Bud Wilkinson by Mike Towle and Chicken Soup For The Golfer's Soul by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Jeff Aubery and Mark and Chrissy Donnelly. I'll wake up at dawn tomorrow and run then I'll spend the entire day at home and read.

John F. Kennedy



1 comment:

Jonathan Aquino said...


I've been going through a couple of radical changes lately, kind of like Peter Parker coming to grips with his new and amazing Spiderman powers. It would be cool if they were that spectacular, but they're not, though I'm having a lot of fun. So I can relate to Peter in certain ways, like being the outsider with good secrets. He's one of my favorite movie characters on a personal level like Henry Cavill's Clark Kent.