Monday, March 16, 2009

How Literature Can Change A Life

Beginning today, I will start all over again. They said that yesterday is a dream, today is a reality, and tomorrow is a vision. On this day, I’m letting go of the past and taking hold of the present – in order to shape and mold the future to what I want it to be. Beginning today, I will rediscover and appreciate my uniqueness. There has never been anyone like me in all of history, and there never will be. Like in the Kenny Loggins song For The First Time, I am looking in my eyes, for the first time, I am seeing who I am. I am getting re-acquainted with my inner self – and it’s a wonderful feeling. Beginning today, I will conquer my emotions. I shall be the master of my fate and captain of my soul. Through steady effort and God’s grace, I am achieving peace with myself and with the world around me. Some say that success is getting what you want. In a way this is true. But I believe that real happiness is wanting what you get. But is it possible to have it both ways? Can you be successful and happy at the same time? The more fundamental question should be: Why should happiness be separated from success? They say it is lonely at the top – but how can that be if you had been a light leading others on the way to the peak? To illustrate, let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, there was a rich merchant named Hafid. He had the biggest trade empire in all the land. He was extremely wealthy, highly respected – and truly happy. Hafid had it all: fame, fortune and inner peace. He even had a precious gem: a true friend. Erasmus was Hafid’s loyal bookkeeper – who was shocked when Hafid told him to distribute all his treasures to all those who had been loyal to him and to the less fortunate because Hafid had grown very old. Hafid asked him, “My trusted comrade, is your memory of sufficient strength to recall the first command you received from me when you entered my employ many years ago?” Erasmus remembered: “I was enjoined by you to remove, each year, half the profit from our treasury and dispense it to the poor.” Hafid said, “Did you not, at that time, consider me as a foolish man of business?” When Erasmus admitted his initial forebodings, the merchant continued, “Will you now admit that your concern was without ground?” So you see, the secret of success with happiness is being able to give back, of being able to share your blessings to those who deserve them. But there are other secrets. And those secrets are contained in ten leather scrolls that Hafid keeps in a chest in a secret room. I have read those scrolls – and I have become a better person by gaining a deeper understanding and appreciation of my true worth and my role in life. It is because a man who has brought inspiration and spiritual affirmation to generations revealed them to the world. This is why one of my favorite books of all time is The Greatest Salesman In The World by Og Mandino. And so, beginning today, I will always keep in mind that the “The only difference between those who have failed and those who have succeeded lies in the difference of their habits, Good habits are the unlocked door to failure. Thus, the first law I will obey, which precedeth all others is – I will develop good habits and become their slaves” Above all, beginning to day, I resolve never to forget the counsel of Hafid’s foster father Pathros: “Failure will never overtake you if your determination to succeed is strong enough.” Og Mandino photo courtesy of OgMandino.com. This story originally appeared in Philippine Panorama Your feedback is welcome and will be answered. You can link your blog using EasyHyperLinks

No comments: